I searched for Sony BRAVIA DAV-HDX285 Home Theater System in the price range $ 200-300 for months and finally bought this system after reading all reviews. I’ve had for two weeks and love it.
I have a large living room, but the system is as strong as I ever need only half the maximum volume! I have not really tested the DVD player, so I can not comment on the quality of the video upconverting yet.
- Plenty of volume and bass, while maintaining the high mids and a good balance.
- Greater clarity of the overall sound, and surround speakers add plenty of volume behind you.
- Loved the auto calibrate using the microphone included — takes the guess work out of tweaking levels of each speaker.
- General aspect of the system: the receiver / DVD player is small enough for a receiver (although a bit ‘in depth, to measure the mobile TV where there is mass), and none of the speakers are loud or look large.
- “Night Mode” is a great feature for when you want to calm down some of whatever you’re looking, without losing the high (as the voice in a movie).
- Price range is great for those who want great sound without breaking the bank.
- Absence of audio / video inputs. If you have a device, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 and others, you need an input selector. Here’s a suggestion, find a photo of the rear of this unit, so you know exactly what you’re getting input.
- Lack of ability to transform the sub woofer up and down manually.
- Specialty cables speaker connectors (this was not a problem for me, but if you need extra long speaker wire everywhere, you need to do some extensions.) Read more reviews